We now live in a world where technology has evolved. Devices such as phones and computers are now easily accessible by many and come with numerous features; one of which is Google Assistant.
Upon getting a new device, you stumbled on an inbuilt voice assistant from Google once, and then you continue to experience it afterward. This is a feature that is often very beneficial but many deem it to be unnecessary.
Perhaps you’re in a conversation with someone and you pronounce a word and the next thing you notice is that Google assistant pops up on your phone. That is the Google assistant feature trying to pick the word and probably searching for the meaning for you. To some, it may be battery draining or useless. This is why many are left with no option but to disable it.
You might be wondering, is it possible to disable Google Assistant, if possible how? This article has highlighted various ways to disable Google Assistant on phones, iPhones, and Computers to help you be free from whatever stress you have with Google Assistant. Read on to know more.
What is Google Assistant?
Google Assistant is a virtual assistant software developed by Google for phones, computers, tablets, and home automation devices. It is powered by artificial intelligence to interact with its user(s) using voice commands or keyboard inputs.
Google Assistant can process information from these means of interaction to send texts, play music, check the weather reports, search the internet, set alarms, adjust hardware settings, answer questions, schedule events, and a lot more.
In addition, Google Assistant can also help you solve mathematical problems, send broadcast messages, find your phone (device), make calls, control your home devices, ask for recipes, and many more. No doubt about the qualities of Google assistant; it is highly beneficial and can do a lot!
However, not many like the use of Google Assistant on devices. This has given rise to questions like; how to disable Google Assistant. How can I uninstall Google assistant? How to turn off Google Assistant on my phone? and many other questions like that.
To start with, let’s take a look at ‘How to disable Google Assistant.
HOW TO DISABLE GOOGLE ASSISTANT
I’ll be walking you through three different ways to disable Google Assistant on your device. Check them out below.
Related: Why do my Earpods keep disconnecting
1. Disable Google Assistant through the Google app
You can actually disable Google Assistant on your device through the Google app. Here are the steps:
- Open the Google App and tap on your profile icon at the top left corner of your screen.
- From the displayed options, Tap “Settings”
- It displays another list, Tap “Google Assistant”
- Next, Tap “Phone”
- Now Toggle off Google Assistant.
- You have successfully disabled Google assistant on your phone.
2. Disable Google Assistant from your phone settings
This is another way to disable Google Assistant on your device. Simply approach your phone settings, and disable it through your account services tab. Here are the steps:
- Go to your phone’s Settings,
- Select “Google”
- Locate “Account Services”
- Search for Assistant & Voice
- Tap “Google Assistant”
- Tap “Phone”
- Toggle off the Google Assistant
Simply follow these above-listed steps to successfully disable Google Assistant on your device.
Alternatively, you can try the following:
- Select “Settings”
- Select “Systems & Devices”
- Select “Additional Settings”
- Locate the “Shortcuts” option. Find Assistant and select Google Assistant
- Click on it and hit “None”
3. Instruct Google Assistant to turn itself off
You never knew disabling Google Assistant can be as simple as commanding it to stop working on your device. It is as easy as saying “OK Google” or “Hey Google” and simply telling it to turn itself off.
If you have a personal assigned word to say to launch your Google Assistant, simply use that instead of the default Hey Google or OK Google. Then proceed to say “Turn yourself off” to your device. After saying those words, instructions on what to do next pops up on your screen.
In a nutshell, say – “Hey Google, Turn yourself off” or “OK Google, Turn yourself off”.
According to some reports, this method may not fully disable Google Assistant on your device. It may sometimes still pop up on your screen to activate it again.
Related: Cannot verify server identity iPhone
There you have three different ways to disable Google Assistant on your device. Now let’s consider Android Phones.
How to Disable Google Assistant on an Android phone
To disable Google Assistant on your android phone, you can disable it through the Google app or simply uninstall and delete the Google assistant app completely on your phone.
To disable it through the Google app
- Open the Google app on your Android phone, tap your profile icon located at the top-right corner and choose Settings. For some android phones, it may not appear as an icon, it could be three dots in vertical format. Tap on it and select settings there.
- From the displayed option after clicking settings, tap the “Google Assistant” option.
- On some Android phones, you’ll find a switch in front of Google assistant. Toggle it off and you have successfully disabled it. Some android phones may not have it that way;
- If you can’t find that option, scroll down to “Assistant devices” and tap Phone, then turn off the switch there.
- Still, on some android phones, you may not find that option. Here is what to do: Simply scroll down to all settings under the Google Assistant settings screen, tap General, and toggle off the switch there.
- In a Nutshell, Turn off Google Assistant by opening the Google app, and tapping on your profile icon in the top-right corner. Then, go to Settings > Google Assistant > General and toggle off Google Assistant.
How to Delete Google Assistant App on Android Phones
Google assistant app is the voice control app provided by Google. It makes using your phone easier. However, due to the issues many experiences from it, deleting it completely becomes an option. Under this heading, I’ll be walking you through the way to deleting the Google Assistant App on your Android phone.
Here are the steps to follow to delete the Google Assistant app from your phone.
- Delete app in phone settings
- Open your phone settings menu,
- Locate and tap on ‘apps’: Usually located at the top of your screen
- Tap on the Google assistant app;
- Scroll down and locate Google assistant, Tap on it.
- Then hit uninstall: this means the Google Assistant app will be uninstalled and deleted from your android phone.
- Quick Note: This method is only applicable when you have the Google Assistant app itself installed on your android phone.
Delete the app from the Google play store
- Open Google play store app on your device
- Open settings; Usually located on the left side of your screen,
- Select ‘my apps and games: Usually located at the top of your screen.
- Go to the installed section under my apps and games, Swipe right for the uninstalled section.
- Open ‘Google assistant’ app.
- Click on ‘uninstall’: Usually located at the top right corner of your screen.
Uninstall in-app Menu
- This is just the fastest way to delete/uninstall the Google Assistant app from your android phone. Here are the steps:
- Hit the menu/apps icon from your home screen
- From the list of displayed menu /apps, find the Google Assistant app
- Tap and hold down the app icon till it shows a menu containing ‘uninstall’
- Tap on Uninstall: Some android device shows the uninstall menu at the top right side of the screen while some show it right beside the app itself.
- Then you have successfully deleted/uninstall the Google Assistant app from your Android Phone.
How to delete Google Assistant App on iPhone devices
There are two ways to delete the Google Assistant app from your iPhone device. See the two ways below:
Delete app under iPhone settings: Here are the steps to follow;
- Open settings on your iPhone: You can find it under your phone apps,
- Tap on ‘general’
- Hit iPhone storage and find Google Assistant,
- Click on ‘Google assistant’;
- Click the ‘delete app’ option at the bottom of your screen.
Delete in app Menu
- This is just the fastest way to delete/uninstall the Google Assistant app from your iPhone. Here are the steps:
- Hit the menu/apps icon from your home screen
- From the list of displayed menu /apps, find the Google Assistant app
- Tap and hold down the app icon till all the apps show a cross mark (x) above it.
- Tap on the cross mark for the Google Assistant app: This is to delete the app from your iPhone.
- Then you have successfully deleted/uninstall the Google Assistant app from your iPhone.
How to Disable Google Assistant on your PC
Even for computer users, Google Assistant is a very beneficial feature. However, something that is of good advantage to some may be of disadvantage to others. This is why in this section, I’ll be taking you through the way to disable Google Assistant on your PC if your find no benefit in it. Here are the steps to disable Google Assistant on a PC;
To disable through the Google app,
1. Launch the chrome app on your PC, tap your profile icon located at the top-right corner and choose Settings.
2. From the displayed options, Find search and Assistant and select Google Assistant
3. You’ll find the switch in from of Google Assistant turned on, simply turn it off to disable Google Assistant on your PC.
In a Nutshell, Turn off Google Assistant by opening the launching chrome app, and tapping on your profile icon in the top-right corner. Then, go to Settings > search and Assistant > Google Assistant > toggle “off Google Assistant”.
Alternatively, you can tap the mic in front of the search bar in your chrome interface.
Note: The mic allows you to search by voice or interact with Google.
Tap on the mic and say “Hey Google, and tell it to turn itself off.
How do I uninstall Google Assistant?
It’s not possible to uninstall Google Assistant from your device except if you have the app itself installed on your device. You can only disable Google Assistant. You can disable google assistant by simply opening the Google app, opening settings or profile, selecting your phone under assistant settings, and then toggling off Google Assistant.
Why Turn Off Google Assistant?
Though Google Assistant is a very useful feature, However, not everyone finds it cool. This is one reason many are left with the option of turning off the feature. There could be a lot more reasons for this, best known to the user. Some prefer doing this manually and do not need the help of Google assistant, then you need to turn it off.
Many think Google listens and monitors their activities through Google assistant; I’ll say that ideology isn’t true. If you disagree with this, then turning it off is an option so be sure and be at peace with yourself.
How to Turn off Voice Assistant?
Follow the steps below to turn off the voice assistant
- From your Home screen, click all apps to access all apps,
- Select settings and tap all settings,
- Tap General settings
- Find Google Assistant and turn it off.
- Another way to do this is by saying “Hey Google, Open Assistant Settings” then you can turn it off from there.
- Do you know – Google Assistant helps read and translate your web pages aloud?
This article has talked about the various ways to disable Google Assistant on Android, iPhone, and PCs. If you have the app installed on your device, you can also uninstall or delete it completely. This article has also shed more light on that.
That’s the much I can take on the topic “How to disable Google Assistant” I hope you find it helpful. If you have any questions, drop them in the comments section below; you’ll surely get a response within the shortest period of time.
Thanks for reading.